If you are wondering what this is, it is only our childhood memories going up in flames. Literally. This is one (yes, just one) of my Grandma's farm houses that was completely thrashed by tornadoes that strolled through North central Kansas about a week and a half ago. Everyone is always saying it can't happen to us, well it did. This historical house is the one that my grandpa was born and raised in, the one that my grandparents raised their children in and the first "grandma's and grandpa's house" that their grandchildren knew. And now it is all gone. All of the out sheds were completely leveled. Tractors and Combines were all over the yard. Trucks and other equipment were also scattered all over the place. Luckily the cows had just been moved to another farm so the herd sustained no damage, Trevor's pigs were stalwart enough to survive as well. Initially the house was not going to be burnt, but in the end it needed to be. She served us well for many years, was the birthplace of many memories and learning experiences, most of them involving uncle Rich and his short temper. She was finally put to rest Sunday, 1 June 2008, in a teary ceremony with many loved ones near by. After being doused in gasoline Rich did the honors of throwing the match. She will be missed. In an exclusive interview with my co-cohabitant, I asked her what her favorite memory was of the west farm (that was our term of endearment for her) she simply replied "Playing house in the chicken coop, I was the mom." On a personal note my favorite memory was the Easter egg hunts in the side yard that was full of trees. Those wonderful trees were also leveled in the tornado and had to be cleared before "the sacrifice" could be burnt. We will forever be grateful for the way in which she served us throughout the years. Now for your viewing pleasure, I suggest you look at these pictures with a box of Kleenex.
Captions for Pictures:
1.) This is what she looked like before the burning, pretty tore up. So sad.
2.) In case you aren't familiar with farm equipment, no, this is not normal positioning for a combine.
3.) A little Midwest tree trimming going on here.
4.) The biggest TOOL in our family. DJ doesn't even like him, and according to the Trevor Doctrine, he is not a real cowboy because he wears sunscreen.
Quick C7 Update
The question my co-cohabitant really needs answered is " If I swore you were an angel would you treat me like the devil tonight?" Can anyone answer that question for her please, I'm too busy throwing-up. She had been asking it all day and honestly it hasn't gotten old at all.
On a more appropriate note: Summer is getting well on its way and we are trying to enjoy every minute of it. Just this week alone we have been to Melvern Lake twice, making the summer total 3 times. My co-cohabitant needed to make sure that it would work for the BEST BIRTHDAY PARTY EVER! if you are a lucky one, you will receive an invitation. Summer school has started for me and it is pure hell. It is a 5 credit science class. Normally, I'm a fan of science, not as much as I'm a fan of math, but science's ratings have gone down since this class started a week ago. I have a good table mate, which is a blessing because I could have had a bad one. On top of this class I have 2 online classes that are silly, as most online classes are. My co-cohabitant decided it would be wiser to take her class in the fall and is therefore working hard for the money this summer. Our new summer hobbies include slowly making our way through season 3 of Grey's Anatomy and watching DeAnna kick guys off the Bachelorette. We want Fred to go all the way, he is the one from Chicago.
Upcoming Events
1. Father's Day
2. Mom and Dad's 30th Anniversary
3. Summer Class Ends!
4. Fourth of July
5. Birthday Bash or Road Trip!
Stay Tuned!





5 comments:
Very touching memorial for the west farm. Tell your co-cohabitant that I know someone who would treat her like the devil...
Is this Cassi? C7 is that your number? I will have to know who is saying what even though I'm sure the sissies are also very cleverly humorous themselves. So sad about grandma's house I would have cried but i couldn't help thinking of the quote from twister..."did you see my cows out front?" sad poor grams. Well, I affriad your've let the blog go on fro too long without my knowledge of it, but I'm glad I know now...and I'm glad of it. YOu are on my link list now.
whoah! I can't type....I just re-read what I put...hopefully you can decode it.
hey good lookin'! Funny what I learn from reading blogs...the Trev thing CRACKED me up! So when is the b-day party planned for? I haven't gotten my invite yet!
When I die, will you please douse me in gasoline and be the one to drop the match? Thank you.
Post a Comment