Friday, June 18, 2010

Neverland

I now understand why the Lost Boys and Peter Pan wanted to stay at Neverland (not Neverland Ranch, you sickos) and never grow up. Although growing up has its perks, the responsibility grows with age, something that isn't so fun. So, for the past month and a half I've been working at an office helping people get back into school after they've been laid off. For some reason its not what I ever imagined a desk job being. I love helping people and it is something that I want to continue to do, but its the professional part that I'm having trouble with. Luckily there are a couple of gals I work with that I am able to joke around with. My official title is a Workforce Professional and back before I started the job I was joking with my BFF that I will be a Workforce UNprofessional...which isn't far from the truth after 5pm, that is.
While I was working at the jail, I used to dream about they day when I would have every weekend off and not have to work holidays and have "regular" business hours. Now that I have that, I miss those crazy hours and getting called into work because some inmate has crawled into the ceiling or swan dived off the top tier and they need backup.
Needless to say, yesterday I gave my 2 weeks notice to my boss. A decision that was tough to make and required me to grow up. This job was a great learning experience and there are some aspects of it that I will miss, however there are MANY aspects that I will not miss. One of those being the hour and 15 drive to get here and back. Now I'm sure many of you are wondering why I accepted the job if it was that far from home and I wasn't planning on moving, and I wish I had an answer for you, however I don't. All I can say is that it is one of those things that if I didn't accept the job and try it out I would have always wondered, "what if."
After much deliberation and consideration, I have decided to go back to the crazy jail and all its glory. The hardest part is swallowing my pride and admitting that I screwed up and shouldn't have gone and ruined what I had. My favorite co-worker said yesterday, after I gave my notice, that I looked happier already, which made my day.

No comments: