The first couple of weeks at school are a little weird. Everyone is trying to figure things out and that can make some people a little awkward. Totally natural, right? People might be a little bit more reserved than normal or a little bit more out going so they can meet friends. I totally understand all of that. I have done it. Today, however, I was taken to an new level of,1st of the semester, awkwardness.
One of the classes I had today has my friend in it. She and I have had 3 classes together the past 2 semester and have thoroughly enjoyed sitting by each other and making our own commentary on the lesson. She missed the first class period so today was her first class. I wanted to sit by her so I ended up sitting in a different seat than I had the first day (doing this really screws with people, which I find kinda amusing!). I got the benefit of sitting next to my friend and the misfortune of sitting next to another girl. I was talking to my friend about her schedule and commented on one of the classes she is enrolled in that I had already taken. During the course of our conversation I say to her, "The class is really boring" (its true the class is really boring) immediately after I say this to my friend, the girl sitting next to me says "Your mom is boring." I love a mama joke as much as the next person, just as long as it isn't about MY mama. I was torn between turning, slapping her and saying "What do you know about my mom?" or taking the more reserved approach (which I opted for) and saying "Uh...... no." If I really wanted to make the situation more awkward I could have turned to her and said, "My mom is dead, thanks for bringing it up." But my mom taught be better than that.
Sitting in some of my education classes, talking about some of the possible home situations our students will come from makes me so grateful for the parents and home life that I had and continue to have. My parents are literally the best! Here's to you Captain Carl and his faithful, loyal, and determined 1st mate, Cathy.
Love ya Mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment