Monday, November 15, 2010

Few and Far Between

Cassi
The most important thing about me is that I love to laugh.
I like pig-in-the blankets and reading.
I have a loving family and a fun car,
But the most important thing about me is that I love to laugh.

The kids at my school had to make "Important Poems" about themselves. I loved what they came up with. If I had a video of my very distinctive laugh, I would post it here. However, it has never been recorded, so consider yourself lucky if you have ever heard it.

The days are long at my school and most days are laughter free. Instead of the feeling of joy filling my being, I can only feel my ulcer from stressing out growing. Today was different. There is a student in my class who has an IEP (Individualized Education Plan). The IEP has to be reviewed every year and today was the review day for this student. The IEP meeting was before school started and was the perfect way to start the day. In the meeting we discussed how the student had made such remarkable improvement that he no longer needed all of the accommodations he was receiving. He is a success story (we don't have many of those). When he left the meeting his mom leaned over to give him a kiss and he brushed her off. She was completely shocked, but I thought it was the funniest thing I had seen, at school, in a while. I laughed, my loud obnoxious laugh, but then quickly reigned in back down to a couple of chuckles. His mom said that when she drops him off at school in the mornings he never gets out of the car without giving her a kiss. I guess kissing your mom in front of a classroom full of teachers is not the cool thing to do in 4th grade.

No comments: