Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What rhymes with rain and starts with a "br"?

I don't like to talk about my student teaching experiences a lot because I find it safer not to. Lately I have found that the kids are funnier than ever. That could possibly be a result of having only 2 weeks left and riding on the high of being able to count the number of days I have left on my two hands. I'm just saying, its a possibility.
One of the subjects I get to teach is phonics. In case you are wondering, yes, it is about as fun as it sounds. This whole week we have been working with double vowels and the sound combinations they make. In today's lesson students were given a word that had a vowel combination and then they were given the first one or two letters of a word that rhymes with the word they were given. Example: they were given the word rain and were asked to write a word that rhymes with rain and starts with a "br." A student comes up to my desk after completing this particular question and asks me what a brain is. I busted up laughing. Not my most supportive moment. Don't worry, as soon as the student asked me the question, he realized what a brain was. That is the future of America folks. Unlucky.

No comments: