We just finished day 5 out of 8 days. OH YEAH! Today only 2/3 of our students showed up, I guess it is also hard for kids to get up and go to school on Monday mornings. There are 2 brothers who are in reading summer school class. They live right across the street from the school but think it is okay to come to school whenever they get up. One of them rolled in at 8:30 and the other one at 9:15. That's the life!
Today we talked about idioms (example: couch potato). Everything I said the word couch or went to spell it my mind wondered back to Bill Madison spelling that word during the spelling bee in his elementary class. I have searched YouTube for a video, but no luck, so I hope you understand what I am talking about. If you don't just disregard or got watch the entire movie, it will not be a waste of your afternoon.
My new principal has poked his head into my classroom twice now during summer school, I have yet to officially meet him, but when I saw his head today, I invited him in and let him know what we were doing. He didn't say much, stayed a few minutes and then left. He did miss one of the highlights today when we were discussing the idiom "cloud nine." In an attempt to relate well to my students I asked them if any of them listen to Katy Perry music and if they knew her new song Wide Awake. Of course they knew that song. So I sang the bit about falling from cloud nine to them, and after the laughter died down, we discussed what it meant to be on cloud nine and what it meant to fall from cloud nine. What do you think it means to be on cloud nine and fall from cloud nine? If you aren't sure, watch this Katy Perry video or, ask a friend.
In case you are wondering if it ROCKS to be in my summer school class. The answer is a resounding: YES!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment