Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The "B" Word

I'm sure some of you got really excited when you saw this title, thinking that this post is going to be about the "real" b-word. Who doesn't love a well placed curse word, right? Well, sorry to disappoint but the post is about the educational "b" word, bullying. I understand if you stop reading here.

I am an educational professional (ok, ok, you got me. I'm not really, but I do work at a school). I do know some things about bullying. Do I know everything? Nope, and do I want to? Make that a doube nope! I do know that in order for it to be considered bullying it must be a repeated offense. I also know that when it happens and continues to happen it needs to be reported to a trusted adult so that measures can be taken in order to stop it. I know the person being targeted it called the victim. I know that people who watch it happen (bystanders) and don't speak out against it are sometimes just as guilty as the bully. I also know two other things about bullying that other people (especially parents) don't know. Get ready to live, because here they are.

1.Bullying is fun. Strike that from the record. Just a little joke! I know this, that when a kid is in trouble with their grades or behavior at school, all they have to do is tell Mom and Dad that they are being bullied. (a boy talking) "Mom, the reason I have been failing my subjects and not turning in my work is because one day some kid in gym class called me fat." or (another boy talking) "I can't get my work done, because 3 months ago that girl told me I needed to start wearing a bra to school." Were these instances repeated offenses? No. Were they ever reported when they occured? No, but parents eat it up and call the school to report bullying. Well played kids, but guess what? You still have 3 Fs.  

2. This is the other thing I know: It does not matter how fantastic your anti-bullying program is at your school, you can have assemblies, pledges, meetings, counseling sessions, and anything else you could possibly imagine, and if the bully still decides that he/she wants to be a bully than you are going to have bullying at your school. The bully has to make the decision to quit bullying or they have to be removed from the situation, those are the only two ways to stop a bully. We cannot make someone act the way we would want them to (wouldn't that be nice though), that is why all during anti-bullying week students are taught ways to deal with bullying, because there will always be bullies. If you think that a one time assmebly with a FINE testimonial about how bad bullying is will stop all bullies in all schools, you are nuts.

To cure bullying, watch and apply the following video clip:


That's it. You heard it here first!

No comments: