Friday, February 19, 2010

Relationship Test

I'm in this Intimate Relationships class and it is very interesting. I am learning a lot about relationships and about myself, the class is a two for one! My teacher asks these very general questions, because people don't talk a lot in that class (imagine that!). At the conclusion of these questions we are suppose to raise our hands if we agree. I sit next to this guy that is in one of my other classes and we have a pretty good time in our relationship class. I have learned a lot about him that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have ever learned otherwise, all because of these hand raising exercises. It's funny.

Last night we were talking about marriages and relationships. As homework we were given a list of situations that a person might encounter before they get married or during their marriage. I want to share some of these situations with you. While thinking about these situations, keep in mind that these people really do love each other!

Situations:

1. Elaine is planning to marry Greg. She has never told him that in her teens, she had an abortion. Should she tell him now? Under what circumstances should she tell him? Or, should not tell him? What affect would Greg's attitudes toward abortion have on her decision?

2. Howard, a widower, has asked Nancy, a divorcee, to marry him. In a moment of deep intimacy, Nancy whispers, "Do you love me as much as you loved her?" Quite honestly, he doesn't. Should he lie? What can he say? Why would Nancy ask such a question?

3. Dave is at the beach, watching the young singles. He feels envious of their youth and freedom and is remembering his own bachelor days. Just then his wife says, "A penny for your thoughts." What can he say?

4. Jack had a brief, secret affair. It's been over for a year now and he has had no contact with the woman. The whole sordid business was a bit of poor judgment which made him realize how much his wife, his marriage, and his family mean to him. He is wracked with guilt. He longs to tell his wife and ask her forgiveness. Should he? What would probably happen if he told her? What might happen if he didn't tell her? Is there another way to relieve his overwhelming guilt?

5. Greg is planning to marry Linda. He has never told her that in his teens, he had a homosexual relationship that lasted several months. Should he tell her now? Why or why not?

These are only a few of the ones I have to answer and turn in next week. The other ones aren't near as good as these are. Think about it. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Unbeknownst to Greg, Linda had a relationship lasting several months in her teens with a singing bass. Those words of encouragement "Don't worry, be happy" got her through her most trying years.

Heidi said...

I love the sound of that class!