As of tomorrow I will have been at camp for a week, but it feels like a month. It has been quite an adjustment going from the formal setting of school to summer camp. I am SLOWLY getting used to that and sleeping on a top bunk of a set of bunk bed in a room with 3 other girls. Luckily we don't spend much time on our room.
The camp has several different activities that we do with the campers including: rifles, archery, an environmental education center, canoeing, and trap shooting. I have learned a lot so far and am continuing to figure things out as I go. As of today I have instructed campers in archery, at the environmental ed. center and at trap shooting. For the most part it has been a lot of fun and not too much work.
Today at trap shooting we had several families come from Fort Riley. These moms came by themselves with their kids, many of the kids were under 10 years old, because most of their husbands were deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. There were a few men there who were home on R & R but would be going back next week. Seeing these moms and kids really made me grateful for the sacrifices these families make so that we can have the freedoms we do. It was a very humbling experience for me.
On a lighter note: There are these group of guys who have been in my training group at camp and we have taken to teasing and flirting with each other (this is good because I need some practice on the later of the two). We have affectionately given each other nick names and somehow they have spread to all the other staff members. I won't tell you mine, but it was given because of something that I do a lot but didn't realize I did it, so I will be working on that this summer. I am glad these group of guys are here at the camp they keep things relaxed and fun. If there is one thing I know, it is that a large number of girls in a confined area = DRAMA! and boy do we have it!
2 comments:
You are brave! Beauty school was enough for me to last a lifetime!
wow, look at you being all well rounded and stuff! sounds like fun!
Post a Comment