Tuesday, October 12, 2010

FIRE IN THE HOLE or school

In my first semester of student teaching we have a requirement that "gives us the opportunity" to teach 4 lessons to the class we are assigned to. Today I was teaching my second lesson, a math lesson. I was sailing through it, everything was going so smoothly, which doesn't always happen when you are teaching about decimals and place value. Halfway through the lesson the fire alarm goes off. My professor from ESU came to observe my lesson and on the way out the door asked me if I knew it was drill. I told her I didn't think it was, and come it find out it wasn't. While the firemen (it took 2 fire trucks, and one of the had a ladder on it!) put out the small fire in the school kitchen my class sat on the sidewalk outside the school. Lucky for them and for me, we had to wait outside for about 30 minutes. I felt my math lesson blowing away in the wind. And who said miracles have ceased?

Our school didn't have any real damage, the fire was contained, and no one was hurt. All in all a very eventful day!

1 comment:

mk said...

That is crazy to actually have a legit fire-drill. Way to be, Ms. Gile!