Saturday, March 28, 2009

An Ode to Good People Everywhere

Working in the hotel industry you meet a lot of characters. Some of these characters include a group of drunk bowlers, guys who beat up other guys "defending" their stripper girlfriend's honor, old men who have wet themselves because they are so drunk, old women who will not leave the pool area because they are too drunk to find their room, underage drinkers, "dancin' gals" who come use our hottub even though they don't have a room here, guys who want to spend the night with the "dancin' girls", teenagers who trash our rooms, parents who verbally abuse their children, loads of truck drivers, families moving across the country, and a very small percent of truly salt of the earth good people. The last group I had the privilege of working with tonight and IT WAS SO NICE!

A HUGE snow storm has hit our area the last couple of days and the small towns surrounding us have lost power. When some of these small-towners found out we still have power, here in our metropolis, they came running. This one family in particular booked 2 rooms and were SO NICE! Then in one of their rooms the heater wasn't working and they called up and 1st apologized for being a pest and then told the problem, when I very happily got them into another room, they came and got the new key, and apologized again! I assured them there was no need for them to apologize and they could not have been nicer. Now here is the kicker... They have a "friend" who is staying here as well. She called and talked to my manager and got her rooms comped (basically she is staying for free: 2 rooms for FREE!) and she totally does not deserve it. I was running all over this hotel for her and switching her rooms from here to there and back again. I'm not complaining about doing my job, but her attitude was what made me so sour about helping her. I don't know maybe it is because I come from small town people who don't ask for much and when they do feel like a bother, but I really wish my manager would have talked to the "nice" family instead of the "make me run around" lady. I know life is not fair, but the times it happens it is nice to see good people receiving good things.

No comments: